DISCLAIMER: The letters, notes and comments contributed to the ChoroidPlexusCyst.org Message Board and Chat rooms are the sole opinions of the individuals providing them. The ideas are not the opinion of ChoroidPlexusCyst.org nor are they presented here as facts. The information and links on this website were compiled by a layperson, and should only serve as a basis for discussion with a competent medical professional, and by no means should this information substitute for the advice of a medical professional. ChoroidPlexusCyst.org presents this data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and is not liable for its accuracy, for mistakes, errors, or omissions of any kind, nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on information obtained from this website.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 10:49:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Thank you very much to *** Vicci *** for making a generous donation to the Choroid Plexus Cyst website!
11387 Posts in 2494 Topics by 6631 Members
Latest Member: janestein4
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Choroid Plexus Cyst Message Board
|-+  General
| |-+  User Posts (Moderators: CPC Webmaster, Mike, Been_There)
| | |-+  Confused about cpc & echo found in fetal heart - HAPPY UPDATE!!!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Confused about cpc & echo found in fetal heart - HAPPY UPDATE!!!  (Read 3565 times)
pinaymom

« on: July 16, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »

Hi everyone,

I just found out about this website today. I want to ask for your prayers that everything will go well with my baby. I will be 20wks tomorrow. Last friday was my much anticipated u/s where we would know the gender. As most of you here, that u/s showed some markers too in my baby. 3 different people rubbed the u/s on my belly (2 techs and the perinatologist), it was silence in almost 3 hrs with like a 30 minute wait for each one. They told us that we're having a baby girl. We were so glad. The thing that bothered me at that time was they always concentrated on seeing just two parts of the baby. 2 most important parts: the brain and the heart. Finally when the perinatologist came, again rubbing the u/s on my belly, she said they have some concerns that they see on the baby. First they see a small cyst on the brain, and also echo in the heart. They said that this might be nothing coz some normal babies show those signs too sometimes, but there is also a possibility that these were caused by a chromosome abnormality. I held my composure up till we left. The doctor offered me an amnio but i declined it. Thinking that I would be keeping the baby no matter what. I asked her if we could repeat the u/s some other time but she said, it doesn't really matter because the fact that they saw it that time doesn't change the chances laid out on me. I was seeking in my heart for any possible excuse that it might just be a machine error but the perinatologist clearly have her faith on what they see in their machines. After that, we left. I cried my heart out inside the van while we were on our way home. I was scared and so helpless, I can't do anything for my baby.

My regular OB called me last Saturday because I asked for a return call. She told me not to worry just yet. The perinatologist didn't even send her report about me yet. She said, usually if something is serious, they will tell her right away. But I can't help not to worry. This is my first uncomplicated pregnancy- I thought - (I bled on my 2 previous pregnancies, first one resulted to miscarriage on 16wk2d and second one gave us a healthy baby boy), and now - first time to carry a baby girl. I just can't stop thinking about those words the perinatologist said.

I know worry is a form of lack of trust in God, but I hope he forgives me... I am just human and a mother hoping to have her child healthy. Please, help us pray that the findings were nothing. I hope I can also find some peace in myself that will make me stop worrying. Any word from any of you will give me some strength to face whatever comes. I hope you include us in your prayers, especially my baby girl to hopefully be born healthy and normal.

If there is anyone who had the same experience and resulted to a success, I would love to read your story right now. I welcome any comment for it will be very helpful for me right now...

Thanks for creating this website and thanks for reading...

God bless,
Elaine
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:19:23 PM by pinaymom » Logged
Been_There
Global Moderator
Regular Poster

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:48:27 PM »

CPCs and EIF (echogenic intracardiac focus) are very common findings and even together are not good indicators of any problems with the baby. The vast majority of babies with these findings are healthy. CPCs are very weakly correlated with T18 (not T21) and the correlation is so weak that in otherwise low risk pregnancies risk factor is not significantly changed. T18 is very rare. It is also very rare for a baby to have T18 without exhibiting major indicators on US such as major structural and/or heart abnormalities (EIF is NOT a heart abnormality) and severe growth restrictions. It is highly controversial whether EIF is correlated with anything at all. If there is a very weak correlation, that correlation is with T21, not T18, and the correlation does not significantly alter risk in low risk pregnancies. EIF just means bright spot on the baby's heart and could be caused by immature muscle, calcium deposits, type of US equipment used, etc. Most CPCs do disappear by late second trimester, although some remain throughout the pregnancy. Either way, it makes do difference with regard to risk and remaining CPCs don't harm the baby in other ways. It is much more common for EIF to remain throughout the pregnancy than for CPCs to do so, but again it makes no difference with regard to risk. DId you have the triple screen or equivalent? Despite its false positives, it is a better risk ajuster than soft markers on US. The better screen is the first trimester nuchal translucency screen combined with maternal serum. A genetics counselor with the latest information could help better ascertain your risk factor in your specific situation. There are quite a few stories on the site of these two findings showing up on US. Best wishes for a happy outcome.

Been There
EB on 17 week US in 1999. Healthy baby girl.
(I am neither a doctor nor a genetics counselor.)
pinaymom

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »

Thanks for the reply been_there...

Yes, I had AFP test. The perinatologist said that I was extremely negative. But I still can't help not to worry because of those markers that she showed me. Your words made me feel better though... Thank you... I am now browsing on some happy stories on your site. But so far, i cannot find one that has both markers... Will continue to search...

Thanks,
Elaine
newterpmom

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:34:45 AM »

There are many people on this site who have had both EIF and CPCs. My baby wasn't one of them, but I have read many posts from others and their babies were all fine. God understands your fears, please don't worry about that. That is why He is forgiving. Echoing what Been_There has said, EIF and CPCs are really becoming quite common as US technology has improved and more women are getting USs. Try not to worry too much. The triple screen is a much better indicator than the US soft markers.

Best wishes.

missie

1 girl, diagnosed with CPC at 18 wks.
Born healthy Sept. 2, 2006
pinaymom

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 12:01:09 PM »

Hi Missie,

Thanks for the reply. I need all the support I can have.

Reading the stories from this site have made me survive in a daily basis. I haven't cried and I am trying to stay positive. Until yesterday. My regular OB called me to say that she received the report from the perinatologist who scanned me last friday. Though she didn't insist, she said it would be better if we do the amnio for peace of mind. I strongly disagreed doing it. I told her that I already had a 2nd trimester miscarriage and even if that clinic proves to have a very low m/c rate, I do not want to risk it. She described me graphically what these soft signs might indicate. And i can't lie, I was horrified. After the call, I called my husband. It crushed my heart to hear him cry for the very first time. We both cried over the phone thinking what could be the fate of this child in this world. I told him to visit this site and read success stories of other people who were in the same situation before as us right now. He said he will. He said he is trying to be strong for me about this that was why he has kept his tears for days from me. I said thank you and I just told him, we'll help each other and be strong together for our family. It's just that it is so hard sometimes to stay positive if you hear some people especially a medical professional who tells you negative stuffs. I guess they just need to tell us to prepare us of what might lie ahead.

I tried viewing the video from our u/s last friday again. I saw the cyst, I saw the bright spot, but I can't suspect anything could be wrong with my baby girl. I will be seeing the OB today to discuss concerns and other possible steps that we can take besides from amnio. Do you have any suggestions on what I should ask my OB later?

I hope you all have a good day and thanks for reading my post. God bless!

Elaine
newterpmom

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 02:16:15 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about what a rough time y'all are having. I think it's horrible that your doctor would scare you like that. I would definitely ask him/her what makes them think you need the amnio. Again, given your good triple screen results and the fact that they found 2 soft markers for 2 different conditions, I really don't understand what is driving that recommendation. CPCs are loosely linked to T18 and EIF is loosely linked to T21. The fact that you have both markers does not increase your odds of having either condition. I would ask if they saw other markers that would indicate a problem (heart defect (not EIF), severe growth restriction, clenched hands with overlapping fingers, clubbed feet, etc.). I would definitely stick to your desire not to have an amnio. You should not get pressured into having one if you do not want to. Remember, all the amnio can give you is definite information. It cannot change what already is. I would also ask for a referral to a genetics counselor with all the latest information on CPCs (many genetics counselors and OBs are misinformed about them). Finally, I would ask for another US if you are looking for piece of mind. While it's true that the disappearance of the CPCs and/or EIF do not change your risk factor, another US could allow them to look for additional abnormalities.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

missie

adriana

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 05:49:41 PM »

Hi Elaine... I am sorry you're havig such a tough pregnancy... I can tell you I feel all you are feeling to the proverbial T... I too lost a son at 21 weeks, have a healthy 4 yr old son, and am pregnant with a girl. At 17 weeks the ultrasound found a CPC, and there go all the worries. My AFP is 1:10K for T18, and 1:1900 for T21... Hubby and I also do not want the amnio as it will not change my carrying to term. I will be 5 months next week and feeling this baby kick me reassures me immensly... I am just too terrified of losig an otherwise healthy baby to the amnio... I know the decision is a tough one... I am anxiously looking forward to the next ultrasound in 2 weeks to see if they see any other markers, or if the cyst persists... My prayers are with you and your husband...
Adriana
Laurenandgrant

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:04:11 PM »

Hi there...Please know that it is up to you to have the amnio or not.  If you feel that strongly, than follow your heart.  I had the CPC issue with this pregnancy (so I can relate to that part of it) and a friend of mine had a "spot" on the heart and the bowel.  Not sure if that is what you are speaking of with the heart.  Anyway, this too caused her a lot of grief  at first, and the doctors cautious as the should be, scheduled further sonograms.  The "spots" didn't go away, but her fears did.  She made a clear choice that at this point in her pregnancy, there was nothing worrying could do for her.  She said she felt without conclusive proof there was a problem, she was going to treat this pregnancy like any other and not worry or spend time thinking about it again.  Did I mention this was my friend?....(like you I tend to worry and pray constantly)  Anyway, several months later she gave birth to a perfectly Healthy baby with no heart or chromosomal problems whatsoever!!  Have you talked with your docs about other, less invasive tests that they can do that may give you some answers?  Please keep us posted...I also ask God to TAKE AWAY your fear and anxiety...and give you His uncomprehendable peace!
Hugs! Lauren
chenell

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 01:55:24 AM »

I'm very sorry to hear about what's going on with you. I too have found out that my unborn baby girl has a cpc on the left side of the head. I too cried and just couldn't understand what went wrong? what did I do? How can I change this? But I can't. Everythiing ele's was normal and they told me not to worry. But I can't help but worry and were is that going to get me I ask nowhere because the situation still stands nothing I can do will change anything. I just have to and will leave it in the hands of god and hope for the best. And if things should go the other way then I'll cross that boat when I get there until then let's just keep on hopeing thay everything is going to be alright because at the end of the day what ever the problem or not we still have to deal. There's no turning back now. God bless
newterpmom

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 06:32:14 AM »

Chenell,

I'm sorry you're having to go through the CPC roller coaster. Please know that CPCs in and of themselves do not cause ANY harm to the baby. The only concern about them is that they are loosely linked to T18. However, if no other markers are found (clenched hands with overlapping fingers, heart defects, severe growth restriction, etc.) then the odds of having a baby with T18 do not increase over those based on age alone. At 29, your age-based odds are probably somewhere around 1 in 5000. The triple and quad screen tests can adjust those odds, but remember that they are not a diagnostic test. They compare the level of hormones in your blood to the average expected hormone levels for other women at that point during the pregnancy. They do have a relatively high false positive rate.

My doctor told me he believes that CPCs are just a variant of normal fetal development. He believes that at least 1/3 (33%) of babies have CPCs at some point during their development. It's just that they are so transient it's hard to get an accurate count.

Best wishes.

missie

mulhoke

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 03:28:04 PM »

Hello there! I'm so sorry you are going through this torture. I have been there. I do want to tell you that although most babies with these markers are BORN HEALTHY. My son had these exact markers and did in fact have a chromosomal issue. He was diagnosed at 18 weeks with CPCs and EIF. We were told not to worry, when we decided to the do the amnio, it in fact showed that he had a trisomy.

I also passed my quad screen blood test and was told that my chances for a chromosomal issue was 1 out of 5500......

pinaymom

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »

I am just here to update everyone that I delivered a healthy and happy baby girl on November 28, 2007. She is now 7 months old and can't seem to get tired cruising around the living room. She is now a fast crawler and is learning to stand up on her own inside her crib...

Just a quick history: On my 19th week U/S, my baby was diagnosed of CPC and EIF... By the 23rd week, these markers were gone.

Thanks to this site, I made it through...

God bless us all!!!

My baby when she was born:

My baby in her christening dress:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:38:27 PM by pinaymom » Logged
newterpmom

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 05:22:23 PM »

Congrats! What a beautiful little girl!

Been_There
Global Moderator
Regular Poster

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 06:18:30 PM »

Beautiful!

Been There
EB on 17 week US in 1999. Healthy baby girl.
(I am neither a doctor nor a genetics counselor.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: